Tuesday, August 10, 2010

the freakin' glories of nature!

good news--not a post about cooking.

so i went rock climbing. on legit rocks, not like pieces of plastic bolted into a wall in an air-conditioned building. i was a little apprehensive about this whole hoisting myself up the side of the cliff, given my lack of upper...lower...well, body strength in general. and let's be honest here, i like being good at things, so i was expecting a frustration-filled afternoon of me getting irrationally angry at large pieces of stone.

however. i was quite pleasantly surprised to discover that i really enjoy rock climbing. it was so fun! it's like a puzzle, trying to figure out where to put my appendages. and ok, i kind of felt like spiderman, which was cool. and climbing harnesses are super flattering. not.


first climb. witness the initial misgivings, tentative explorations, and ultimate triumph.

the climbs got longer and more difficult (but not anything too crazy--i'm a newbie here, come on). the boys generally did them twice as fast as i did, but i like to tell myself that i did them with twice as much style. right?

this was the last climb. my arms were tired, thus leaving me with negative, rather than zero strength. i slipped a couple times, which was terrifying and whimper-inducing, and i ultimately skirted around the hardest part, but i touched those chains at the top, dangit!

here are some good shots of the men (grunt grunt, punch punch)

they were good sports to put up with my giddy squeals of "I DID IT! I DID IT!" after every climb.

anyway, it was excellent. hands-down the most amount of physical activity i've done in probably the last two years. which basically means that tomorrow, i probably won't be able to move. work from bed? most likely.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Amy I wish I still lived there so I could take you climbing! I love love love it so much! If it is still warm when I'm back out there in Sept, we are going. deal? deal.

Tristan said...

You dominated those climbs, and we were all very impressed with your skills. You're a natural!

Mom said...

Wow! My girl is a superspiderwoman!!!
Totally impressed....again!

The Henrich Family said...

very cool, Amy. Looks like a great time! Were you as sore as you thought you'd be the next morning?!