Monday, April 18, 2011

the end.

of course i’m growing nostalgic as my college years are coming to a close. it’s strange to me to think that after this week, if i so choose, i never have to go back to school again—ever. i never have to do homework, or take a test, or get a grade. it’s almost unfathomable, because i’ve been going to school for almost literally my entire life. it’s all I know. it is my security blanket.

as cheesy as it might sound, when i think of my time at BYU, one song comes to mind: “je ne regrette rien.” it’s a french song, of course, but i think the connection is fairly obvious—out of all my experiences these past 5 years, the good and the bad, the bitter and the sweet, i regret nothing. even the things i look back on and still wince a little bit, i wouldn’t change, because those things have shaped me into who i am today.

each year i met people that i will never forget, that i will never stop loving. people that i will be friends with for my entire life. people that stood by me when i was at my worst, and who always encouraged me to be my best. i've had experiences that have opened my eyes, made me cry, made me laugh, and overall, made me grow.

i think some of the most memorable and rewarding experiences have involved my school career with french (shocking, i know). going to paris, for one. i will always, always, always treasure the time i spent abroad, albeit short. it solidified my love for french, and also boosted my language skills enough to land me the job as a french student instructor for the 101/102 classes at byu--a job that i've had for two years, and i have absolutely loved. it made me fall in love with teaching (no, student teaching did not entirely break me), it gave me the assurance that someday in the future, i'll have a job.

because this is already way too text heavy, here's a photo recap of my five year college career (because 5 is the new 4, guys).

freshman year:
marked by intoxicating freedom, systematically breaking the honor code curfew, and having the most solid group of friends ever.

sophomore year:
marked by an interesting transition to not having any male on campus actually being my age, still having ridiculous amounts of fun while still somehow managing to get good grades, and one traumatizing disaster of a relationship.

junior year:
marked by getting over paris and heartbreak, getting my teaching job and the resulting mind-boggling stress but ultimate satisfaction, and being more responsible.

senior year, the first:
two words: french house. i adored living there, and i will never forget the bonds forged there. this was one rollercoaster of a year.

senior year, the second:
marked by recovery, discovery of cooking, student teaching misery, the worst apathy concerning school i have ever experienced, and taking the biggest leap of faith i have yet to make.

so byu, it's been real. proud to be a cougar.

1 comment:

Megan said...

oh good times..... this is making me nostalgic and weepy. i love you Amy (no middle name) Hansen!!