Sunday, January 23, 2011

i hate blondies.

when i lived in missouri, we had these really good family friends. the mom made the best blonde brownies i have ever tasted. i was obsessed with them. once i got old enough for my mom to trust that i wouldn't blow up the house if i were to use the kitchen (approximately age 12), i decided i needed to make some blondies of my own, using the israelsen recipe.
it was a disaster. i don't know what i did. but whatever i ended up creating was bad enough that my mom lost all faith in my cooking abilities (up until maybe about a year ago). i was traumatized. to this day, the israelsen's still laugh at me. i'm not kidding.

but there comes a time in every woman's life where she has to face her fears. today was that day. i was going to a dinner where i had signed up to bring the dessert--i had my recipe picked, my ingredients ready, and my game face on. they went off without a hitch. they looked beautiful. they smelled awesome. i took them out of the oven at 5:27 and left my house at 5:30, all the while so dang pleased with myself for having overcome my fear of making blondies.

this was a bad idea. the cold turned them into little bricks. rather than soft and chewy, they probably could have killed a small child, which was dangerous since there was in fact a small child at this gathering. (sorry for endangering your posterity, megan.)

all those years of coming to terms with blondie failure...wasted. back to square one.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm surprised your mom gave in at 12.

Aunt Susan said...

What could have happened? It doesn't make sense. Why did they turn so brick-like? Try agin a third time. I believe in you. I've tasted your wares.

mom said...

Sooo not true, my dear! I never lost faith in you....I just didn't eat those blondies! But man alive, can you ever cook now. I just want to come and live at YOUR house!!! Maybe a trip to Izzy's and a little demo would help...then you can always sample, too, hee hee!

Janalee said...

I get it - if my mom leaves a comment on your blog, then your mom will reciprocate in kind by leaving a rare and precious comment on my blog. It's so brilliant!

And I've had that same experience with the rock-hard treats. they're all good straight out of the oven, but then a few hours later they're hard! It makes me wonder if it has to do with the quality of flour or WHAT! I haven't figured it out. But I bet it's a "really logical explanation".

Megan said...

i loved them. don't doubt yourself. besides, they all got eaten so they couldn't have been that bad.

and elijah plays with worse things, like computer cords, so a hard blondie was the innocent best friend comparatively.

Tristan said...

I actually felt really sad for you when I saw the pic of the person barfing and you hanging your head.