Monday, November 1, 2010

the apple doesn't fall far...

today i realized that in at least two areas of my life, i am my mom.

area 1: sleeping. in high school, whenever i would come home at night, i always had to go in and wake up my mom and tell her that i was home. i always hated doing this, because waking my mom up was like walking through a mine-field in which i always inevitably got blown up. this is pretty much how it would go:

me, whispering and lightly touching my mom's arm: "mom. mom. mom...MOM (louder whisper)"
mom, sits up, looking terrified like i'm some kind of serial killer.: *HUUUUUUUUUUGE GAAAAAAAAAAASPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP*
me, terrified: "...i'm home."
mom, suddenly aware that i am not a serial killer: "oh. ok. night."

every time.

so this morning, this scene was replayed, except instead of my mom thinking i was a serial killer, i thought my roommate grace was a serial killer. gasp and jerk-upright and everything. (sorry, grace)

area 2: driving

i think this is a general "mom" trait, but gasping, grabbing the side of the car, subtly putting down your foot to brake, and throwing out your arms whenever something comes near the car are all common things that my mom does when driving.

and i do it, too. all the time. like today, for example, when driving by a park, i see out of the corner of my eye a little white thing running towards the car. and of course i involuntarily let out a body-wrenching gasp as if there was a torpedo headed for the side of the car. nope, just a puppy. sorry, tristan.


so now i can join the ranks of the many women worldwide who say "i'm turning into my mother!" good thing i think my mom is freaking awesome, so it's not really problematic for me.

7 comments:

Tristan said...

Excellent likeness of me and the Breeze.

And just remember that there's more of a chance of me crashing the car from you gasping and screaming than from any of my driving habits that might cause you to gasp and scream.

Jody said...

lol i totally remember mom freaking out whenever we would wake her up when we came home..classic mom

Janalee said...

so funny, I was doubled over and my laughter attracted the girl's attention and I had to splain it to them.

Megan said...

that's awesome! i like Tristan's hippo.

Julie said...

Ok, thats my EXACT life story. The quieter and softer I tried to wake up my mom the more startled she would become. I ended up refusing to check in at night.

grace louise said...

Hahaa I laugh out loud in public at this.

Tristan's car is awesome, and watch out, I might actually be a serial killer. Look underneath the floorboards...

megan hansen said...

you know not only did i get mom stroking out, but she also yelled at me the next morning for NOT waking her up. on nights i didn't wake her up she said nothing the following morning. guess what i started doing? going straight to bed. it wasn't worth risking either one of our hearts.