Tuesday, October 7, 2008

toot toooooot!

so i have some pretty freaking exciting news, but when i share it it's going to sound like i'm tooting my horn a little bit. but you know what? i'm gonna toot it so if you have a problem with that, i suggest you waste some time reading a different blog.

so a few weeks ago, my french teacher (you know, the one that i want to be when i grow up) was like, "amy come talk to me after class." first thought: crap. she's going to kick me out of her class because i'm murdering the french language. imagine my jaw-dropping shock when she started asking about what year in school i am and how many credits i have because she's interested in hiring me as a STUDENT INSTRUCTOR for french, starting in january. i'm pretty sure my jaw did in fact drop while i simultaneously peed my pants in excitement. a student instructor as in i would teach 101 classes at byu. "we have a policy of only hiring seniors for this job, but if you're close enough to the credit requirement by the end of the semester i'd like to make an exception for you because i think you have a lot of potential." (insert silent scream of glee.) so i got some recommendations and filled out a little application and commenced to wait.

today i got tired of waiting, so i decided to be a go-getter and inquire about my status. i had an oral interview with my professor at the end of which she gave me some recommendations of things i could do to improve. she told me that i'm very close to being at the level required to teach (advanced low) and that by the end of the semester she's confident i will have achieved it. "you're good right now, and i don't give out compliments easily." (it's true. she doesn't.) i may or may not have passed out then.

anyway, the point is I'M SO EXCITED! this would be such an amazing opportunity to not only improve my french but to get some really good experience teaching. AH! every time i think about it i get all giddy. and to have the woman who is famous (infamous?) for being intensely hardcore about french kind of rooting for me motivates me to work so much harder so i can get better. basically all i want to do right now is run around my apartment screaming ecstatically. so...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Amy, you're amazing! I wish I could write this whole comment in french, in your honor. Je regret. Je n'ai pas. (Am I way off?) I am so excited for you. I remember my student instructor my freshman year at BYU. He was awesome. He knew everything about the french language (or so I thought). I would have loved a teacher like you though. TRES BIEN AMY!

Unknown said...

congratulations! you're amazing :)

and, you'll love teaching at the college-level. it's really fun!

homemade by jill said...

hey there cousin,

bet you didn't know I blog stalked you! Just wanted to say congrats on being so awesome. Glad to know it runs in the family. Ha - just kidding. But seriously, I think you are kind of amazing. :) Way to go!

Jill

The Henrich Family said...

you go girl! So proud and excited for your teaching adventures! Good luck!

Aimee said...

WOW! I'm so impressed! I remember the many french classes I took at BYU and none of the french instructors were very complimentary back then. I'm sure they haven't changed much. You're awesome! Can I be like you?! Can I call you professor Hansen? I'd write something in french right now, but I'm a little intimidated.