Thursday, March 20, 2008

my medically induced spring break

so yesterday morning at about 7 am, i was blissfully sleeping in my warm cozy bed when suddenly, my body realized that it had totally forgotten to give me a birthday present. since it was four days late and all, it decided to really go all out and get me....KIDNEY STONES! gee THANKS body! it's what i've always wanted. oh wait, except you already gave them to me once. don't you know how tacky it is to give the same gift twice? come on body. get with it.

anyway, after writhing on the floor in agony for about a half hour, i crawled into my roommate ellen's room to ask her if she could drive me to the health center to which she most graciously obliged. gotta love that ellen. the drill was about the same, pee in a cup, get an abdominal x-ray, a nice shot in my almost-backside, and then magical prescriptions. the only thing about the magical drugs is that they either put me into a delirious coma, or make me throw up all over the place. not that i'm complaining...i'd rather have comas and vomit than ridiculous pain ANY day.

some silver linings in this situation:
  • i don't have to go back to class until tuuuuuuesday! and since i'm basically functional (other than the coma and stomach pyrotechnics), i can still make an effort to keep up with my assignments so i don't have an aneurysm when i go back to school.
  • since i vary between not eating, and then throwing up anything i DO try to eat, i could possibly come out of this ordeal with 5 or so less pounds! (that's kind of a stretch of a silver lining, but come on i'm trying here)
  • ok this is the best one: the love of my life megan patterson (bless her little heart) created a sort of "happy kidney stones" care package for me. it includes: flowers, a 2 liter of dr. pepper, 3 huge bottles of blue powerade (gotta stay hydrated), rocky road ice cream, a giant fashion magazine, aaaaand...a barbie coloring book with crayons. i dare you to try and say that's not the greatest thing ever.

3 comments:

emilymcb said...

oh sad day... or more like week! feel better soon!

Rhiannon said...

Wow that is crazy. Megan told me and I have never had kidney stones but they sound like no fun. If you need anything let me know. YOu know like a homemade meal!

Unknown said...

that's definitely the best package ever. and kidney stones really suck, so glad you're okay!