Tuesday, July 7, 2009

i get by with a little help from my friends.

so today. aah, today. i woke up dreading the day because i knew it would involve gratuitous crutching. (i am so already not a fan of crutching.) Oral Proficiency Interview at 1:00, crutching to the library to check out a book to study, crutching to the BYU bookstore to buy a blue book, and then (the culmination of my dread and horror) crutching across campus to the testing center--the building that is quite possibly the farthest away from any building i ever go to on campus. but i am blogging now to tell you that i survived. and i know it sounds super cheesy, but as i was reflecting on my day, i realized how much i really was blessed throughout it.

first off, grace gave me a ride to school. she got done with class at 10:00 and didn't have anything to do for the rest of the day. then, i went to go have my interview and when i got done, i crutched my way down to the outside of the building where i had to take a little rest on a bench. then i started thinking, oh my gosh. how am i going to make it to the bookstore and up those stairs to buy a blue book? i didn't want to call grace and make her come all the way back to campus just to buy me a blue book. cue hopeless despair. but then, low and behold as i get up and start crutching my way over, i see grace and her shining face riding towards me on her bike. apparently her friend had called her and asked to have lunch on campus. hello answer to my prayers.

then, i went to the library to study. and i studied with the black cloud of the epic journey to the testing center over my head, wondering how i was ever going to accomplish it. a few hours later i finally got up the courage to start crutchin' again. the first leg of my journey consisted of the library to the courtyard of the JFSB. then i sat down, feeling discouraged. i decided not to look quite so pathetic by pretending to go over flash cards when all of the sudden someone sits down next to me--my good friend phil! he always makes me laugh. like, really laugh, not just polite laugh. so we had a funny little conversation and my spirits were boosted enough to make the second leg of the journey over to the SWKT where i sat my sorry little butt down on a bench and pretended to study again.

as i was sitting there again, i see another one of my friends (who, by coincidence happened to be named phil as well) who took pity on me and stopped to talk for a little bit. after this, i started crutching again. i made it to the JSB and decided it was a good place to rest my pathetic self. and not even a minute later, this random girl comes over and sits by me and starts talking, asking me if i'm going to the testing center, how i hurt my foot, telling me about how she broke her ankle awhile back and how much she hates crutches too and understands that it's super hard, and then even offering to quiz me for my test. seriously, one of the nicest random people i have ever met.

and that's when i realized, on every single leg of the horrifying journey i was dreading all day long, there was someone there to help me, to talk to me, to cheer me up, to make me laugh. and that's how i know god loves me.

3 comments:

Mom said...

HE does, and I do and have been praying for you. What sweet, tender mercies! You're gonna make it, sweetie! I'm proud of you:)

Janalee said...

and it's probably how you'll meet your future husband. This had pre-engagement story written all over it.

grace louise said...

I hope your future husband is me. After all, I did come riding in on a white horse (or a burgundy beach cruiser...)